To all parents of Grade 10 students, and previously eligible Grade 11 and 12 students, the Ontario Secondary Schools Literacy Test (OSSLT) will be taking place this year on. It is imperative that your child is present for this test, and if they will not be able to be present, that you inform your child’s respective Vice Principal as soon as possible.
This week’s literacy information covers the different components of the test.
● There are two booklets students must complete, each featuring a variety of questions testing reading and writing skills.
● Students must read the following types of information:
o Information paragraph
o A news report
o A dialogue
o A real‐life narrative
o A graphic text (e.g., a map or schedule)
● Students must write an number of responses in clear writing with properwriting conventions (grammar, spelling and punctuation).
● Students must write the following types of answers:
o A news report (one page in length)
o A series of paragraphs (at least three paragraphs, two pages in
o A summary of a piece of text
o A short opinion piece
o A short response to a question
● Students will also be asked to complete multiple choice questions on reading and writing skills.